Thursday, August 03, 2006

The new career paradigm: Multi-Gig Entrepreneur

I was at dinner the other night with an old friend, Jameson Thottam who has an interesting take on careers. Namely, he advocates everyone should have several at the same time. By day, he works in Bus Dev for a real estate developer. By night, he invests in rental properties on his own. We have a mutual friend who has no fewer than five (FIVE!) gigs going on right now including CTO for an entertainment production company, consultant to the film industry, and professional screenwriter (he currently has a script in development at Paramount).

The more I think about it, the more this paradigm makes sense to me. In my experience, there are peaks and valleys with most jobs. For borderline ADD individuals such as myself, juggling multiple gigs forces me to maintain focus and actually INCREASES my productivity with each situation.

This might be the next logical step in the evolution from lifetime employment to free agent to multi-gig entrepreneur.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?