Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Importance of Industry on Job Satisfaction

I've never placed too much emphasis on which industry to work in. I guess it comes from my ADD nature and knowledge that I'd eventually get bored with any industry I target. That being said, I think there are two very important considerations for selecting an industry.

First, you've got to have some core ability to succeed in your industry of choice. Unless you're a technophile or electrical engineer, working in high tech probably isn't the best choice for you.

Second, and more important, you've got to like the type of person who is also attracted to the industry. I never really thought about this aspect of job selection in the past but have come to appreciate it more lately. I've found that different industries attract different types of people. I think working an in industry where you like your peers really helps with job satisfaction, particularly for workaholics such as myself.

Agree? Disagree?

Comments:
I absolutely agree that liking your peers is very important. I chose a career based on the people with that major in college. Unfortunately for me, they didn't represent the industry as a whole. Now I'm stuck. Great insight!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?